Are your outdoor motion sensor lights not turning on even when you wave your hand in front of them? Or do they turn on even if there is no one outside? Before you decide to spend money on a new expensive light, you need to learn how to reset outdoor motion sensor lights, and maybe that could fix your problem.
Resetting motion sensor lights is a straightforward process, and you don’t need to call a professional. All you need to do is switch them on and off a couple times, and they’ll reset themselves. If the issue still stands, you might need to call a professional because the problem might be with the wiring or the motion sensor itself.
But you don’t need to stress about this any longer because you will have all the answers after reading this article. You will also have a better understanding of how these lights work.
Before we get into resetting your motion sensor lights, you need to know how these lights work. After that, you’ll find the resetting process much more straightforward and painless. Motion sensor lights have three main components.
- Motion sensor
- Power supply
If there is a problem with any one of these, the lights will not function. The motion sensor doesn’t detect physical movement; it sees infrared light that all organisms radiate. Hence it can catch any action in the direction in which it is placed. It then sends a signal to the power supply to complete the circuit. Once the circuit is complete, the lights turn on. This is a straightforward explanation for an otherwise complicated process.
These lights turn on when they detect movement and automatically turn off after a specific duration of time. This duration can be adjusted according to your needs. Hence you don’t have to worry about turning them on or off. You also don’t have to worry about wasting energy because these lights are primarily programmed to turn on during dawn and dusk.
How to Reset Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights
Resetting outdoor motion sensor lights is an uncomplicated process. Even someone with zero knowledge of electric circuits can do it quickly. Hence there is no need to shell out cash and hire a professional to come to your house and reset the lights. If you follow the steps below, you can quickly get your motion sensor lights to start working.
- Firstly, you should try to turn the light off from the circuit breaker. Turn it off for 40 seconds the first time and then turn it back on. This should give it enough time to reset completely. However, some models of motion sensor lights must be turned off for a full 60 minutes to reset correctly. So make sure you read the manual beforehand.
- Secondly, you can try to turn off only the motion sensor part of the light. Turn it off for about 10 seconds and then turn it back on. Do this a few times, and your light will be reset. You can also buy waterproof motion sensor lights here.
- If all these steps don’t work, you can try to rapidly turn the switch on and off four times. This kickstarts the light and resets the motion sensor.
- Another aspect you need to consider is that maybe the bulb is fused and isn’t turning on. So check whether the bulbs themselves are working or not. If not, you can find replacements here. Now all you need to do is screw them in, and you are ready to go.
- Next, check whether the motion sensor itself is working or not. You can usually find a small red light indicator on your motion sensor light that blinks when it senses motion. Check this light, and if it’s not blinking, unfortunately, the problem is your motion sensor. You can easily find replacements for them here.
- Lastly, if none of these methods work, we’re sorry to say, but you will need to replace the whole unit. You can find outdoor motion sensor lights here.
After going through all these methods of resetting your motion sensor lights, we hope you will have no further problems with your lights.
Benefits of Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights
Although motion sensor lights can be a bit on the pricey side, their benefits outweigh the costs. They are excellent for home security, and there is no price high enough when it comes to protecting the people you love. These lights can be used as alarms and even aid your mobility in the dark. Now without further delay, let’s talk a little more about the benefits of outdoor motion sensor lights.
- Firstly, they are a renowned deterrent for villainy. Suppose someone with bad intentions tries to enter your property. In that case, the lights will immediately put them in the spotlight, and they will be discouraged. Studies have proved that communities, where outdoor motion sensor lights are standard have lower crime rates.
- Secondly, they also allow you to see your surroundings when you come home late at night. You don’t have to worry about any unwanted visitors hiding in the bushes waiting for your arrival. You also don’t have to try and find your house keys in the dark and get inside your home as quickly as possible.
- Another great advantage of motion sensor lights is that they can scare away any unwanted pests too. Sudden bright light can easily scare off rabbits and skunks and protect your garden and porch from them.
- Last but not least, they are incredibly cheap as compared to other house security systems. Furthermore, they are effortless to install too.
Hence outdoor motion sensor lights are very advantageous and a necessity in some neighborhoods. After reading this, if you want to purchase motion sensor lights for your home, you can find them here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do my motion sensor lights not turn off?
You might have to consider resetting your motion sensor light or consider changing its sensitivity. If your light is too sensitive, it might go off even with the movement of insects. So make sure your sensitivity setting is according to your needs.
Are motion sensor lights a flawless security system?
Motion sensor lights are considered a very cheap and reliable system. Studies have proven its effectiveness. But if you still want your house to be extra secure, you should pursue house security systems that are more advanced.
Do motion sensor lights turn off during the day?
You can program your lights to turn on only during dusk and dawn. You can probably find the switch to use this function at the back of the light. Using motion sensor lights during the day is a waste of electricity, and you should avoid it.
After reading through this guide, we hope that you have learned every possible way to reset outdoor motion sensor lights. These lights might seem complicated, but their basic principles are simple and not different from regular ones. But they are very beneficial in sketchy neighborhoods or even near forests as they can scare off animals.
To summarize everything, you can reset your motion sensor lights by switching them on and off. You should also check the light bulbs and motion sensor itself before deciding to buy a new light. And if the problem still stands, adjust the sensitivity of the sensor.
We hope that you have successfully fixed your lights. Finally, you can relax in your home without worrying about burglars and complaints from your neighbor.