A chandelier is important for both the lighting and decoration of the room. But, where it’s installed matters the most.Keeping this in mind, today we’re up with a lighting guide that focuses on the query “does chandelier need to be centered over table?”
Let’s check it out!
In dining rooms, a chandelier should be centered over the table instead being centered in the room.
It’s not always necessary for the chandelier to be centered over the table because there are rooms where there is no table at all, like in the foyers.
The other problem is what to do if the dining table is not centered in the room.
Let’s see how to cope these situations!
There are many dining rooms where the chandelier is in the center of the room instead being in the center. This is because the electrician was not aware regarding the alignment of the furniture, therefore does the fitting in the room’s center.
Option to go with, are:
- A fixture with a base large enough to cover the hole, despite being installed at side, still serving the purpose of a centered light.
- Adding a ceiling medallion to make the base look of a chandelier bigger.
- Adding another hole by the other side and hang two or more lighting fixtures.
- Hanging the chandelier at your desired place by placing a new junction box. Do this by patching the previous hole.
Checkout a few perfect chandeliers to be centered over the table:
A BRIEF GUIDE TO HANG A CHANDELEIR
Here are the steps:
- Determine the place where you want to place the chandelier. The place you select should be the right one to hang the chandelier.
- Now place the junction box in the ceiling, along with placing the mounting strip.
- Hang the chandelier from the mounting strip and do the wiring cautiously.
- Finally, bolt your chandelier into the ceiling, and your chandelier is good to go.
- Swag the chandelier by using a swaging hook and some extra chain. This option is preferred if the chandelier is slightly away from the center of the table.
The best vintage-style chandeliers perfect for hanging over the table:
A BRIEF GUIDE TO SWAG A CHANDELIER
Here are the steps:
- Measure the length of the cord and the chain you are going to need. Buy a swag hook too.
- Now attach the extra chain with the chain of the chandelier.
- Also, attach the new cord in place of the previous one and do the wiring cautiously and properly.
- Now install the swaging hook into the ceiling right above the center of the table.
- Now lastly, hang the chandelier to the new fitting.
HOW TO HANG A CHANDELEIR AT PROPER HEIGHT OVER A TABLE?
It is difficult to determine whether the chandelier will look good at a certain height or not. Still, you cannot know without hanging it.
To avoid any disappointments after hanging the chandelier, you can use the balloon technique.
The Balloon Technique:
In this technique, you hang the balloon from the ceiling at your desired height and check it from every angle. It will help you to find out the changes that are required without putting in the extra effort.
- Mostly there are two places where you have to hang the chandelier over the table, the dining room and the kitchen island.
In both cases, there are different factors that you should take into consideration.
Hanging the Chandelier over the Kitchen Island:
- There should be a difference of 35” to 40” between the surface of the kitchen island and the bottom of your chandelier.
- The bottom of the chandelier should not be lower than the tallest person in your house.
Hanging the Chandelier over the Dining Table:
- In the case of the dining table, there is no hard and fast rule. Mostly the chandelier hanging lower is preferred.
- You can also choose the height of the chandelier based on the shape and type of the chandelier.
Check out various contemporary chandeliers for Dining Rooms:
PLACEMENT OF THE CHANDELEIR IN VARIOUS ROOMS
In various room types, the chandelier is placed at different places where they look perfect.
Let’s get a detailed look into the fact!
In The Living Room:
- It is best to hang the chandelier in the center of the room. If there is any coffee table, then you can also hang it over that table.
- There should be a clearance of the 7 feet in-between chandelier and the floor.
The best living room chandeliers:
In The Bathroom:
- If you decide to hang a chandelier in your bathroom, then it would be perfect to hang it over the bathtub.
- It should be at the center of the tub. There should be 8 feet clearance.
As bathrooms are the dampest areas of your house and you are hanging the chandelier over the tub, then you should prefer a non-electrified chandelier for safety purposes.
In The Long Hallways:
- The chandelier should be at the center of the hallway. In the case of long hallways, there should be a clearance of 8 feet between the floor and the bottom of the chandelier.
- Use a flush mounted chandelier if the ceiling is low. Measure the diameter of the chandelier according to the width of the hallway.
The perfect chandeliers for Hallways:
In The Standard Ceiling Foyer:
- You can hang the chandelier over the center of the foyer table or simply in the middle of the room.
- At this place, you should focus on the lighting and the design of the chandelier as it is the main entrance to your house.
Two-story Foyer with the Staircase:
- In this case, there is no standard rule for hanging the chandelier. The reason is the different structure of every house.
- It is recommended to hang the chandelier at the top of the staircase. You should get some ideas from an expert in this case.
The best stare-case chandeliers:
WAYS TO DETERMINE THE SIZE OF THE CHANDELIER
Determining the right size of the chandelier for your room is extremely important. If the size of the chandelier is not right, then it will lose all its importance as it awill look odd the moment you look at it.
Determining the Length of the Chandelier Chain:
- You can determine the length of the chandelier chain by measuring the length between the tabletop and the ceiling, minus the installation height and the chandelier
- The answer is the chandelier chain length.
But, the main thing is the height of the ceiling.
- If the height of the ceiling is less than 8 feet, then the distance between the top of the table and the bottom of the chandelier should be 30 inches to 34 inches.
- Suppose the height of the ceiling is higher than 8 feet. In that case, the difference between the top of the table and the bottom of the chandelier should be 36 inches to 40 inches.
Determining the Width of the Chandelier:
- To determine the width of the chandelier by the size of the room, you first have to measure the length of the room.
- Then measure the width of the room.
- Now add both measurements.
- Now convert the answer, which is in feet, into inches.
- The answer is the right width of the chandelier.
To determine the width of the chandelier according to the size of the table:
- Measure the diameter of the table.
- Now calculate the diameter, which is one-half or two-thirds of the diameter of the table diameter.
- The answer is the right width of the chandelier.
Determining the Height of the Chandelier:
- To measure the height of the chandelier, measure the height from the ceiling to the floor.
Keep in mind that the installation site of the ceiling should be 4 feet away from the adjacent walls of the room.
- For every foot of the height between the ceiling and the floor, consider 2.5 inches to 3 inches of the chandelier
- Now multiply the ceiling height and the assumed chandelier
Now convert this measurement into inches, and the answer is the height of the chandelier.
Check out the top chandelier worth buying in 2021:
We hope that after reading this article, the decision of hanging the chandelier at the right place has become easy for you. You may now have got the idea whether your chandelier be centered over the table or not. Your circumstance- Your decision. We’ve described various conditions and ways via which you can hang the chandelier at right spot.
Do let us know with which decision you’re going with. We’d love to hear back from you.
We’ll see you with another guide, till then Stay Safe!