Chandeliers will add glam and fantasy touch to your outdoor ceremonies. No matter whether it’s an engagement or a wedding ceremony, or a small kitty part; surely your party will rock when chandelier is on the top!
Is there a need of a special chandelier for outdoors, or can you use your indoor chandelier outside?
- No need to go for another chandelier for outdoors, when you can use your indoor chandelier outside.
Did you know?
It’s a fact that you can install outdoor chandeliers inside your living space. But there are fewer chances in which you can use your indoor chandeliers for outdoor usage.
There are a few concerns you should be aware of!
What are those? Let’s explore!
Which indoor chandeliers are not perfect for outdoor use? - A few concerns!
- Indoor chandeliers are mostly smaller in size and illuminate a smaller area. Therefore, if you own a small chandelier better not use it for outdoor ceremonies.
Exception: If your lawn or garden is of small size, so is your chandelier; you can hang it. This is because luminosity of the chandelier will easily cover a small area.
- Indoor chandeliers may or may not be waterproof. Therefore, before using your indoor chandelier outside, first check the waterproof factor, and then use it accordingly.
Now, let’s move on to our main topic “how to use your indoor chandelier outside?”
Indoor chandeliers are designed to add a luxurious touch to your interior. You can use them anywhere including your bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, and more. When looking for the best indoor chandeliers, you have to calculate the space you want to illuminate.
Checkout the top few indoor chandeliers here:
Indoor Chandeliers and Sizes:
- A small indoor chandelier is a perfect choice for lighting up a small room or kitchen. Also, it won’t take much space for installing.
- But if you want to illuminate a large area, you’ll have to look for chandeliers of larger sizes or those with a brighter output.
For those who want to use indoor chandeliers for outdoor lighting, we hope you have got the answer with one sided picture.
- Indoor chandeliers are small in size, and they can’t illuminate a large area like your garden or gateways.
Several other reasons are there that support the fact that you can’t use an indoor chandelier outside. But before that, let’s have a look at outdoor chandeliers.
As the name indicates, outdoor chandeliers add brightness to your outdoors. But several factors are there you have to look for, before buying an outdoor chandelier.
You’ll be glad to know that you have numerous options available in the category of outdoor chandelier lightings.
Check out the top few here:
People love spending their time outdoors to enjoy evenings during summers. Thus, hanging a beautiful outdoor chandelier will make your time more comfortable.
Numerous features are there that make outdoor chandeliers different from indoor chandeliers. Those are:
- Large size
- High brightness
- Water resistance
You’ll be surprised to know that outdoor chandeliers come in almost every style to match your needs.
WHY NOT USE INDOOR CHANDLEIERS OUTSIDE?
Now that you understand the difference between the two chandeliers, let’s discuss why not to use an indoor chandelier outside.
Here are some logical reasons to prove this statement:
1. Chandelier Size:
It is the highlighting reason why you can’t use an indoor chandelier outside. You’ll notice that indoor chandeliers are small in size. They are meant to illuminate a small area like a bedroom, kitchen, or bathroom.
Let’s take an example!
Consider a chandelier for the kitchen island. Its light will illuminate the entire kitchen island. But the light will never spread in the entire kitchen area. Thus, using this chandelier outside your living space would be a useless idea.
Outdoor chandeliers create more brightness than indoor ones. A brighter chandelier will glow your lawn to make your time enjoyable.
Using an indoor chandelier might not create your desired illumination. Yes, there are options available to get the desired output, but we’ll share it later.
Checkout a few outdoor chandeliers here that you can use indoors, later on!
Temperature is another crucial factor that makes it difficult to install an indoor chandelier outside.
- Indoor chandeliers are sensitive because the indoor temperatures are not that high.
- Also, indoor chandeliers aren’t exposed to direct sunlight.
Therefore, you can’t use all the indoor chandeliers for outside decorations.
A weather-resistant feature is compulsory when buying outdoor chandeliers. But it has nothing to do with indoor chandeliers.
- Chandeliers installed inside your living space are not prone to weather damage.
You can even install a sensitive chandelier inside your house, but that’ll not be feasible for outside usage.
Checkout a few outdoor waterproof pendant lamp:
- If you use an indoor chandelier outside, chances are it might not resist high or low temperatures.
- Indoor chandeliers are mostly of crystal, glass, or other sensitive material. But outdoor chandeliers come with a metallic built.
IS THERE ANY WAY VIA WHICH YOU CAN USE YOUR INDOOR CHANDELIER OUTSIDE?
After understanding the difference between indoor and outdoor chandeliers, you might think you can’t interchange their usage. But there are several conditions in which you can use indoor chandeliers as outdoor chandeliers.
Checking indoor chandelier compatibility with outdoor weather conditions:
The best way to understand if a chandelier is compatible with outdoor weather conditions is the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Safety Certificate.
- The UL certification ensures that you buy the best item according to your surroundings.
Here are the types of UL Safety Certificates you’ll find in chandelier lightings. Let’s discuss:
1. UL Listed for Dry Areas:
Almost every indoor chandelier has the UL certification for dry areas. It is because most people install chandeliers in their bedroom, dining room, living room, etc. Such spaces don’t have dampness or moisture. That’s why moisture or water resistance is not necessary.
“Chandeliers with UL certificate for dry areas aren’t compatible with outside usage.”
- We don’t recommend buying any chandelier with this UL certificate for outdoor lighting.
However, if you want to install them in your bedroom or living room, you can buy any chandelier of your favourite design.
2. UL Listed for Damped Areas:
“The indoor chandeliers with UL listed for damped areas are compatible with outdoor usage.”
- Such chandeliers are resistant to moisture and are ideal for long-lasting performance.
Indoor chandeliers for bathrooms are UL-listed for damped areas. These chandeliers are the best choice for using outside. But make sure to protect them from rainwater.
- The chandeliers with UL listed for damped areas are not water-resistant. So be careful!
Here are a few indoor chandeliers you can use outside in damped areas:
These were the best indoor chandeliers you can use outside in damped areas. Don’t know how to use them for decorating the exterior? We’ll share a few ideas somewhere in this article. So stay tuned!
3. UL Listed for Wet Areas:
The chandeliers with UL listed for wet areas are water-resistant to some extent. These chandeliers are the best choice for handing outdoors, especially, in rainy places. Wet areas are where chandeliers are prone to direct water splashes.
Thus, you have to be careful.
Here are a few indoor chandeliers that are UL listed for wet areas. These items are perfect for decorating your uncovered lawn, exterior walls, or walkways.
Have a look:
- If you don’t want to buy outdoor chandeliers, these options will give you the best outdoor chandelier lighting experience.
- These are UL listed for wet areas. Thus, you need not worry about water damage!
HOW TO INSTALL CHANDELIERS OUTSIDE? – A CHANDELIER INSTALLATION GUIDE!
Until now, we have discussed the possibilities of using indoor chandeliers outside. If you want to you use your indoor chandelier outside, you must select the one that is UL listed for Damped and Wet areas.
After selecting a suitable chandelier, next comes how to install that chandelier outside?
Here is a detailed guide for you:
Step 1: Find a Suitable Area.
- You can’t hang the chandelier anywhere outside your house.
- You have to locate a safe area where you can protect the chandelier from harsh weather conditions.
- The best way to install the chandelier is under a shade.
Step 2: Assemble the Chandelier.
- Assemble the chandelier and make strong connections with the power supply.
- Make sure to properly tape the wiring to avoid any damage or short circuits.
- Then adjust the chandelier’s height at about 7 feet high from the ground.
- Also, tight it with chains so heavy winds won’t blow it off!
Step 3: Calculate the area.
- Indoor chandeliers illuminate a small area. That’s why you can’t hang a single chandelier for outdoor lighting.
- Calculate the area you want to illuminate and install the number of chandeliers accordingly.
- And again, don’t forget to cover every joining point of wire with tape.
Step 4: Install the bulbs.
- After installing the chandeliers and making the right connections, it is time to install the bulbs.
- You can use bright bulbs for experiencing luminous output.
Step 5: Check the connections.
- Before turning on the power supply, check that all the connections are made correctly (neutral wire with neutral and hot wire with hot wire).
Step 6: Test the chandeliers.
- Turn on the power supply and test the working of every chandelier and bulb.
- Also, examine that your outdoor area is completely illuminated with the chandelier lighting.
- If everything works fine, enjoy your time with your family.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How do you waterproof a chandelier?
You can waterproof your chandelier for the outdoor usage by using beads, and waterproof bulbs. Simply, replace the chandelier accessories with beads, and bulbs with waterproof bulbs; and you’re done. Beads will prolong your chandelier’s life. Painting the beads and glass of the bulbs will enhance the overall aesthetics of your chandelier.
Q. Is there a difference between indoor and outdoor lights?
The main difference that exist between indoor and outdoor light is their interchangeable usage. You can use outdoor-bulbs indoor, whereas the reverse is not usually possible. This is because outdoor lights are more variable. In addition, indoor light bulbs are not designed to cope with the outdoor harsh weather changes.
Q. Can indoor LED lights be used outdoors?
Yes, indoor LED lights can be used for outdoors. LED lights are the best choice for types of lighting usage whether residential, industrial, or commercial. Whereas, not all indoor lights are outdoor compatible. Therefore, LED light is an ideal choice you can go for!
Q. Can indoor outdoor lights get wet?
Indoor outdoor lights wouldn’t get wet if they are weather and rain resistant. If not, there are sure chances for indoor outdoor light for getting wet; no matter whether it’s rain or the excessive moisture in the air.
Q. What happens if you use indoor bulbs outside?
If you use indoor bulbs outside that are not outdoor compatible, a fire hazard may occur. When the indoor lighting be used, after exposure to elements like water and moisture, in the outdoor, the current leakage will occur. This will ultimately lead to a short circuit, and fire hazard.
Thanks for making it this far till the end of the article. Today, we’ve answered the questions related to using indoor chandeliers outside.
“Yes, you can use an indoor chandelier for illuminating your outdoors. But not every indoor chandelier can withstand outdoor weather.”
- If you want to install indoor chandeliers outside, make sure the chandeliers are UL listed for Wet or at least Damp areas.
- Also, follow the chandelier installation guide to get your desired results.
That’s all for you today. Do let us know which chandelier you will use for illuminating your outdoors.
We’ll see you with a new topic. Till then, Be Sound!