There are thousands of ways using which one can redesign their homes. Many people opt for drop ceilings as they can be installed without destroying the original ones.
These ceilings are not meant to bear the weight of heavy chandeliers, but with skills and good equipments, this can be done without any problem.
At this point you cannot add anything directly to the ceiling, as it will need some modifications to accommodate the weight of the chandelier hanging on it.
Now let’s check out our 101 guide on hanging a chandelier from the drop ceiling!
Before you think of hanging a chandelier from the drop ceiling, you must consider these points before installation:
1. Selection of the Chandelier:
- Any chandelier that has pointy edges should remain away from the ceiling.
- But if the chandelier you are choosing has pointy edges, then hang the chandelier by a cord so that it is not directly in contact with the ceiling.
Chandelier with bulbs: Chandeliers with many bulbs in a small capacity are recommended over other chandeliers.
- But always choose a chandelier that will look good with the style of the drop ceiling.
- Drop ceiling should complete the look of the room with the assistance of the chandelier.
- Always think about how the chandelier will look in the room you wish to install.
2. Weight of the Chandelier:
Heavy chandelier: If the chandelier is too gaudy for the room, it will not only cause your chandelier to fall, but the damage to your drop ceiling will also be irreparable.
“The weight lies among the top concerns while hanging a chandelier from drop ceiling.”
Measure the weight: Before hanging any chandelier, the weight of the chandelier should be measured. A heavy chandelier might damage the ceiling or might make the ceiling look ugly, and cracks might occur.
- Drop ceiling can bear a weight of 15 pounds.
- An object that is heavier than 15 pounds is a danger to the drop ceiling, and one must not install any object or chandelier heavier than that.
- Otherwise, the ceiling might fall on the head.
Cons of heavy weight: Keep in mind that the drop ceiling is attached to the original ceiling, and anything heavy will cause the drop ceiling to collapse. Whenever you think of hanging an object from the drop ceiling, measure its weight and see if the weight is worthy enough to be added to the ceiling.
- The drop ceiling and chandelier should balance each other out.
- The chandelier’s weight should be enough that the drop ceiling can easily bear and shouldn’t fall under the chandelier‘s pressure.
- Choose a chandelier that will increase the ambience of your room and complement the room.
- Always choose the chandelier according to the ambience.
- Your drop ceiling should act as a fantastic backdrop to the chandelier you want to install, as said before, and they should complement each other.
- When installed, they both should complete each other.
6. Group Styling:
- Instead of hanging one chandelier to the ceiling, better install various light pendants at once.
But it requires more work and accuracy.
- The lightning of the chandelier should be such that it lights up the whole room, and if the drop ceiling has some design on it, then it shouldn’t darken the ceiling.
- It should highlight the design in the ceiling.
WAYS OF HANGING A CHANDELIER FROM THE DROP CEILING
There are many ways by which you can hang the chandelier from the drop ceiling. Many of those ways are complicated. Two mostly used ways to hang the chandelier are:
- Directly installing the chandelier to the ceiling.
- Hanging the chandelier from the ceiling and then installing the drop ceiling.
- Allocate a space, preferably cut in the drop ceiling through which the chandelier is installed.
You can either use a hook, a mounting plate, or an I-beam bar. The hook method is the most recommended. The mounting plate is recommended for small size chandeliers, and the I-beam is used for heavy-sized chandeliers.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR THE INSTALLATION
- Flathead Screwdriver.
- Needle nose pliers.
- Wire stripper.
- Wire tester.
- Electrical tape.
- Plumb bob.
- And, of course, a chandelier.
STEPS INVOLOVED IN INSTALLATION OF THE CHANDELIER FROM DROP CEILING
- Remove the tile of the drop ceiling.
- After removing the tile, locate the ceiling joist in the original ceiling.
- Then locate the power circuit and remove the cover plate.
- The wire system is quite simple.
- There is a white-colored neutral wire and a power wire that is yellow-colored.
- Suppose you are still not sure which wire is which, then use a wire tester to confirm it.
- While doing this, be extra careful, or you might injure yourself.
- If you are not comfortable doing it by yourself, better hire an electrician.
- Check which wire is the power wire.
- Do not forget to switch the power off after learning about the power wire.
- Then assemble the chandelier according to the instructions given on the box of the chandelier.
- Every chandelier is different, and one should not think that after reading the manual of one chandelier installation, you have become an expert.
- That is not true. Read the instructions carefully and assemble the chandelier accordingly.
- Install the power bracket on the ceiling and hang the chandelier, and the chandelier is installed.
- Switch the power back on.
Another way of installing a chandelier from drop ceiling:
- Remove the tile from the drop ceiling and drop a plumb bob down. A plumb bob is a weight attached to a string. The plumb bob is dropped from the ceiling.
- You must drop it from a ceiling joist after the weight is dropped, measure the distance of the bob from the tile.
- Pass the power chain and the chain on which the chandelier is attached through the tile.
- Use a gang box and attach it to the ceiling joist from which we dropped the ceiling joist. Pass the power cord from one end and the power cord of the chandelier from the other end.
- The wire of the power cord and that of the chandelier should be matched with each other. As said earlier, the wires are color-coded, so one must not have any problem attaching the right wires. Place the nuts over the wire; after that, shut the cover of the gang box.
Then hang the chandelier from the joist, and voila, you have successfully installed the chandelier from the drop ceiling.
PROS OF A CHANDELIER OVER LIGHT PENDANT WHILE HANGING THEM FROM A DROP CEILING
Most people are curious to know whether they should install a chandelier or a simple light pendant on the ceiling.
- Installing a light pendant will not put much pressure on the ceiling, however the chandelier installation is still recommended.
- The chandelier will give an elegant look to the room that one should hope for.
- The chandeliers come in all sizes.
- Varieties of chandeliers are available in the market.
- You will only need one chandelier to light up a whole room, while you will require more than one light pendant to give your room a bright-eyed look you want.
- Chandeliers can be used in any room in the house, while the light pendant can be used in small places that do not need much lightning.
THE BOTTOM LINE
You can hang a chandelier from the drop ceiling. It just require expertise and set of skills- it is doable.
- If you are hesitating by doing the installation by yourself, then hire someone who is an expert.
- Watch YouTube videos and do it yourself!
Everything is better explained on a YouTube video. You can hone your skills by doing so.
Drop ceilings can bear the weight of the chandeliers, but you should choose a chandelier that is 15 pounds or less. The drop ceilings are not meant for heavier chandeliers.
- Choose the chandelier carefully while installing one on a drop ceiling.
- Hire an electrician if you find the procedure complicated but do not shy away from installing the chandelier to the drop ceiling.
Take this as a quarantine project and make the best of your time. The project is time-consuming, but it is a good way to dispense your energy.
After installing a drop ceiling, most people hesitate to add anything to the ceiling, and that is not a good thing. You should add chandeliers or light pendants. This will increase the look of the room, and will enhance the overall aesthetics.
This was it! Do let us know in the comment section down below about your journey of hanging a chandelier from a drop ceiling, and a few tips to add value. We’d love to hear back from you guys!
Till then- Be safe!!