What other way for the right lighting than installing a chandelier!
Chandeliers were not always used for their style or fashion. The need for a chandelier rose as a functionality.
In the early days, chandeliers were only used as the primary light source. The wealthy and aristocrats used to install chandeliers in the foyers to show their wealth status.
Not to confuse the chandelier with the light fixtures!
Chandeliers have more lamps than pendant light fixtures. The sizes of chandeliers vary. Large ornamental chandeliers are often installed in the hallways, foyers, or dining rooms. And small-sized chandeliers can be placed in the bedrooms or even bathrooms.
Not all chandeliers are installed on the roof, and some are also mounted on the wall.
The early chandeliers were easy to relocate from one place to another and were mostly found in churches and abbeys to illuminate the rooms.
The new chandeliers made in the 16th century were more ornate and caused relocating complications.
CAN YOU HAVE A CHANDELIER AND CEILING FAN IN THE SAME ROOM?
While it is technically possible to have a chandelier and ceiling fan in the same room, some points should be considered first:
- The size of the ceiling on which we want to install both things.
- The size of the room, if the room is small, then the installation of the equipment will look gaudy and minimize the overall look of the room.
- Power outlets in the ceiling. If the ceiling only has one power outlet, it is advisable not to install both things separately.
- You can use swaging for the chandelier but a ceiling fan cannot be swaged.
So as said before, it is not impossible, but aesthetically it should not be done.
- But you can use another alternative, install the chandelier in the centre of the ceiling and mount the fan on the wall.
- Or mount a pendant light on the wall and install a ceiling fan.
CAN YOU ATTACH A CHANDELEIR TO THE CEILING FAN?
Firstly, let us look at the risks of attaching a chandelier to a ceiling fan:
- It is possible that the chandelier is heavier than the ceiling fan and can cause the ceiling fan to come crashing down on the floor of the room.
- Also, it might not look good as the fan is not manufactured to attach the chandelier.
- The ceiling is not equipped to bear the total weight of both.
POINTS TO PONDER WHILE HANGING A CHANDELIER BY THE CELING FAN
- Look for the weight of the chandelier kit that is to be installed on the fan.
- And then measure it against the weight of the fan.
- So the weight balances out.
- The chandelier’s size should also be appropriate to the size of the ceiling fan.
- The chandelier should not be larger than the fan, or it might not look good.
Chandelier’s fitting in Fan:
- Also, you might need to make holes in the chandelier to fit the fan that might cause a deformity in the chandelier.
How low should the chandelier hang? How much distance should be from the ground?
- Otherwise, it might hurt the people walking underneath it.
- The chandelier should not be so delicate that it might burst apart by the movement of a ceiling fan.
- If crystals are hanging from the chandelier, it might make noise, which is quite irritating.
- One should also ascertain that the ceiling fan is securely attached to the ceiling.
CHANDELIER CEILING FANS
There is no further need to attach a chandelier to the ceiling fan.
Now ceiling fans are readily available in the market with an attached chandelier. It minimizes the hassle of attaching a ceiling fan to the chandelier. Check this one:
There are even fans that retract their blades when switched off, so they don’t cause damage to the chandelier.
- Chandelier ceiling fans are costly than normal ceiling fans, but the expanse of attaching ceiling fans to the chandelier is more.
The already attached idea is unique and daring.
- You do not have to buy a chandelier and a ceiling fan separately. Just buy one chandelier ceiling fan.
Types of Chandelier Ceiling Fan:
There are many types available in the stores and on the internet.
- Choose the fan carefully to complement your room and the furniture and not diminish the look of the room.
- The foyer’s ceiling fan will be quite different from the ceiling fan of the bedroom.
Choose wisely! Your house should look good with the addition of a chandelier.
HOW TO HANG A HEAVY CHANDELIER?
To hang a heavy chandelier, you need first to choose a good spot!
- Choose a spot with an excellent power outlet, and if the outlet is not located in the middle, you can swag the chandelier.
- The cord and the wire that will be attached to the chandelier should be strong enough to hold the chandelier’s weight.
- If you are attaching the chandelier to the drywall, you will need toggle bolts.
- Toggle bolts will ensure that the chandelier remains secure to the spot.
HOW TO BLING OUT A FAN?
To add bling to a normal boring fan, one should first look at the budget.
Budget and Your Fan Bling:
If you have money, you can buy a ceiling chandelier fan and be done with it, no need to worry about buying other supplies.
Short Budget and DIY!
But if the budget is short, then try attaching the chandelier to the ceiling fan by yourself.
You can also add glitter to the fan’s blades or attach some charm from the edge of the fan.
- Avoid extra glitter as it might start raining down glitter in the room.
There are many ideas on Pinterest for adding glamour to the ceiling fan. One should always browse the internet before DIYing the fan by self.
MATCHING CEILING FAN AND CHANDELIER
You can always match the ceiling fan by yourself. Or ask the manufacturer or the electrician to advise you on how to do the matching.
They are experts and will tell you more accurately about the chandelier type. What type of ceiling fan will go with which type of chandelier can be found quite easily?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. Can you hang a chandelier by the ceiling fan?
Yes, you can attach a light fixture to a ceiling fan if house assembly exists. If you do not have a housing assembly with ceiling fans then you’re not able to attach any lighting fixture to a ceiling fan; although most ceiling fans come up with the housing assembly.
Q. How do you tell if a light fixture can support a ceiling fan?
Fans with weight of 35 pounds or above that come up with outlet box or outlet box system assures that a light fixture can support this ceiling fan. The manufacturer is responsible for marking the outlet box system to ensure that it’s right for ceiling fan installations.
Q. Can you replace a ceiling fan without a light with a ceiling fan with a light?
Yes, you can replace a ceiling fan without a light with the ceiling fan with light. But remember once you do so, your light and fan will be operated by the same switch. But worry not, by using new units pull cords you can power fan and light separately.
In conclusion, yes, you can attach a ceiling fan to the chandelier but always ask for guidance.
Add as many light fixtures to the fan but always keep in mind the precautions and the risks attached.
- You can ask the electrician or the people who already have done it before.
The internet is a vast space; many forums can guide you easily on this query. Pinterest is always a good way to gather new ideas and style.
We hope that the above article might prove helpful, and you get a handful knowledge regarding hanging a chandelier by the ceiling fan.
The chandelier should make your room more beautiful as Jack Welch once said, ‘I might not be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I am pretty good at getting most of the bulbs to light up.’
Happy chandelier to you! May your house look as good as you want them to be!